I visited the Zoning Office and was advised by the clerical employee who helped me that I should request a certain type of variance and that the Board of Adjustment should grant my application.

We ask Zoning Office clerical staff not to render substantive advice to applicants. There is a reason for this. Clerical employees receive no special training in land use law or procedures. Land use regulation is a complex area of municipal law. You should refer most of your questions to the Zoning Officer and it may be the case, depending on the complexity of your question, that you should consult an attorney to assist you. We developed an Instructions to Zoning Board of Adjustment Appeal Form that explains the various types of relief available to you.